Arizona SciTech Blog
This blog is courtesy of the Arizona SciTech Festival.
The Arizona Science Bowl is a regional event of the National Science Bowl® (NSB). The competition consists of school teams from throughout the state.
The teams are four students, one alternate, and a teacher who serves as a coach. Together, they face-off in fast-paced question and answer rounds and tested on a range of science disciplines.
The high school question categories are: Biology, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, Energy, Mathematics, and Physics. The middle school question categories are: Life Science, Physical Science, Earth and Space Science, Energy, Mathematics, and General Science.
Winners of this regional Science Bowl will advance to the National Science Bowl in Washington, D.C.
Who Can Compete?
- The competition is open to teams from Arizona and Nevada
- Must be school-based teams of 4-5 students and a coach
- Teams can register starting Monday, October 1, 2018
Complete event info here.
The City of El Mirage will sponsor the Public Safety Day on Saturday, February 2, 2019 at Gateway Park, 10100 N El Mirage Road, in El Mirage Road.
This event will feature Police, Fire, and Military apparatus and displays, the Arizona SciTech Festival with STEM related attractions, entertainment, a kid’s zone, dozens of vendors, food trucks, and other awesome attractions. More event info here.
|Event Time:||10:00 AM – 02:00 PM MST|
10100 N. El Mirage Road
El Mirage, AZ 85335
Tres Rios Nature Festival is a two-day event in the spring. This FREE outdoor festival showcases the rich diversity of wildlife habitat, history and culture of the Gila River drainage, which is made up of the Gila, Salt and Agua Fria Rivers.
From guided bird tours, canoeing on the river, archery, fishing and learning about Southwest wildlife, there is something for everyone during the best time of year to enjoy the Arizona weather! More event info here.
March 2 & 3, 2019
Saturday: 10am – 7:30pm, with a Sunset Concert at 6pm – 7:30pm
Sunday: 10 am – 4pm
Base & Meridian Wildlife Area
7602 S. Avondale Blvd.
Avondale, AZ 85323
Other FREE Favorite Activities:
- Main Stage Entertainment
- Bird Watching Tours
- Education Zone
- Stand-Up Paddleboarding
- Beer Garden
- Corn Hole Tournament
- Zip Line (this activity has a fee)
Join the city of Buckeye, AZ for a weekend of FREE FUN for the entire family! Featuring a two-hour Air Show beginning at Noon each day! See vintage and military aircraft, action-packed demonstrations, AZ SciTech exhibitions, live entertainment and much more!
More info here.
What is Venture Madness:
The competition starts with selected presenting companies grouped into (4) distinct categories. The companies are chosen by a selection panel, where the presenting companies will advance to the live-demo portion of the contest, held February 27-28, 2019 at Events on Jackson. There they’ll get a chance to grab big cash prizes and better yet, network with the region’s most active angel and accredited investors who are attending specifically to grow their investment portfolios with the next big things.
What’s New for 2019?
New Venue, New Contest Categories & So Much More!
Once again, our 2019 event is completely reinvented! This year’s event will be at Events on Jackson as a single-day pitch contest, and boasts some exciting guest investor attendees, a fabulously fun Food Truck lunch experience, and the region’s hottest emerging companies pitching their way to victory in one of (4) core judging category tracks:
- SaaS Launch — Software-as-a-Service companies still developing their product and/or working to find a market fit with less than $250k in revenue and less than $500k raised over past 6 months.
- SaaS Scale — Software-as-a-Service companies with a clear market fit and generating consistent revenue of $250k – $1.5 million and less than $3 million in raised capital over the past 6 months.
- Hardware Tech — Companies building physical products such as wearables, IoT devices, drones, robotics, 3d printing, space tech, AR/AV, Ag Tech, new materials, etc.) with no thresholds on revenue and less than $3 million in raised capital.
- Deep Tech — Companies working on software solutions with machine learning, AI, blockchain, computational imaging and recognition, etc. with no threshold on revenue and less than $3 million in raised capital.
- December 3 – January 9, 2019 → Application Window (3pm AZ Time)
- Week of January 21, 2019 → Top 15 Announced + Orientation & VMC Kickoff Reception
- Weeks of February 4, February 11, February 18, 2019 → Mentor Sessions
- February 27-28, 2019 → Venture Madness Conference @ Events on Jackson in Downtown Phoenix
NEW Pitch Categories Include:
- SaaS Launch
- SaaS Scale
- Hardware Tech
- Deep Tech
More info here.
The University of Arizona (UA), in partnership with Cox Communications, presents Connect2STEM — a family friendly event, which celebrates Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and Medicine. The event is officially the largest STEM-related event held in Phoenix on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.
Through this event, youth of all ages are able to experience the wonders of STEM hands-on, encouraging them to one day pursue a degree or occupation in one of the related fields.
SATURDAY, JANUARY 26, 2019
10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix
435 N. 5th Street, Phoenix
NE Corner of 5th Street and Van Buren Street
Get registered today to be the first to learn about new exhibits!
Curious about ant castles or want to know why we’re obsessed with taking pictures? At Arizona State University, professors explore the unknown and students think big, they aren’t afraid to get dirty and discover solutions to help the world. Make your own discovery and explore ASU!
Once a year, ASU Open Door invites the local community, adults and children of all ages, to experience ASU and discover why it was named one of the most innovative universities in the nation three years in a row. ASU Open Door welcomes visitors to our four campus locations, allowing visitors to explore the spaces accessible only to ASU students – laboratories, living collections, museums and classrooms. Visitors have the opportunity to participate in hundreds of interactive, hands-on activities and talk to students, faculty and staff
As a signature event of the Arizona SciTech Festival, ASU invites you and your family to discover all things science, technology, engineering, arts and math. ASU Open Door celebrates that kids today are curious, tech savvy and more involved in their own educational experiences than ever before!
Whether you’re a thrill seeker, lifelong learner, science guru, art enthusiast or adventure seeker, you can find a unique experience at every ASU campus, and we invite you to visit them all during ASU Open Door. More info here.
ASU is opening their campuses for the SciTech Festival during and at the following times and locations:
- Saturday, February 2, 2019 1-5PM – Polytechnic Campus: Tickets
- Saturday, February 9, 2019 1-5PM – Downtown Phoenix Campus: Tickets
- Saturday, February 16, 2019 1-5PM – West Campus: Tickets
- Saturday, February 23, 2019 1-5PM – Tempe Campus: Tickets
- Problem Solving With a Purpose (Grand Canyon University)
- Coding – A Basic Skill for the Future? (Code Ninjas)
- Using Technology to Personalize Learning (Infiniscope)
- AZ STEM School Community of Practice (Office of the Superintendent of Maricopa County, Arizona Science Center, AZ SciTech)
- Ticonderoga Red Eye Saloon (Payson High School)
- Biodiversity PEEK STEAM: Learning No Child Inside (The Biodiversity Group)
- Bringing STEM Into the District (Project Lead the Way)
- Kids Making Sense (Maricopa County Quality Air Department)
- Collaborative Lunch: Physics Fun for Physics Educators (Desert Edge High School)
- Develop An Impactful STEM Program With Three Steps: Engage, Inspire, Empower (Future Stars, Inc.)
- Help Make Clean Water Happen! (Maricopa County Stormwater Quality Program)
- It Isn’t Rocket Science: Rocket Science On A Low Budget (Peoria Unified School District)
- Snakes on a Plane: Fun Times Review (STEMteachersPHX)
- Experience It – By Doing – STEM Experiential Learning (Tonto Creek Camp)
- Joint Forces: Military and STEM (Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary)
- Disguised Learning Through STEM Sports (STEM Sports)
- Get Hands-on with Nano (Nano-Link: Center for Nanotechnology Education / NSF)
- Mesa Arts Center STEAM Sessions (Mesa Arts Center)
- How Science Brings Music to Life (Musical Instrument Museum)
- From Raw to Cooked: A Food History (Dinner at Eight)
- Picking Up STEAM… Attacking Science Through Art (Reggio Emilia Child Care Center)
- Imaginacion in the Classroom (Oblyvion Enterprises)
- Writing Science For Your Students (ASU)
- The Arizona Autism Workforce: A Pathway for a STEM Workforce with Autism (Science Prep Academy)
- Ask A Female Engineer (STEM Spark)
- Bringing Equity Into Education (ASU School of Fulton Engineering K12 Outreach / Estrella Vista STEM Academy)
- Why It’s Good to TALK About Gender Parity in STEM (Girls in Tech)