You are here
Science Activities on Tap for UA Phoenix Campus During Super Bowl Week
UA, COX Communications Team Up for Family-Friendly Event Guaranteed to Inspire
Contact: April Fischer, (602) 827-2585
PHOENIX – The University of Arizona and COX Communications have partnered to bring science and hands-on learning to downtown Phoenix just in time for the Super Bowl. Connect2STEM is the official kickoff for the 2015 Arizona SciTech Festival, a statewide celebration of science, technology, engineering and math held annually in February and March.
“Connect2STEM” will take place on the UA College of Medicine – Phoenix campus at 5th Street and Van Buren, just blocks from Super Bowl Central, on Saturday, Jan. 31, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
STEM enthusiasts will learn about the science of creating a video game, see real space equipment and touch synthetic cadavers. Food Trucks will be available on-site.
The Jan. 31 event is open to the public and will feature five hands-on activity zones designed for all ages.
- Bioscience Zone: Touch, feel and discover the human body like never before. See the biomechanics of a life sized synthetic cadaver that can talk, breathe, bleed and sweat. Free giveaways at the Banner Children’s Go Kids program booth focused on health, fitness and nutrition.
- Concussion Discussion: Tackle the Brain Challenge Expo – featuring a vision distorter, eye-hand coordination drills and the Banner Concussion Center.
- Nature Zone: Get down and dirty with master gardeners and splash around in the Wildcat Water Lab.
- Outer Space/Technology Zone: Calling all amateur astronomers! Learn about OSRIS-Rex, a mission to bring pieces of the asteroid “Bennu” back to earth.
- COX Gig Zone: Cox Communications is providing a free WIFI hotspot for all guests. Come enjoy gaming stations, coloring contests and giveaways. Learn about the science of GIGABLAST services getting to your home. Be on the lookout for a special appearance by Digeez!
- Wildcat Spirit Zone: Bear Down! Take a picture in the photo booth, meet Wilbur the Wildcat, mingle with alumni and bounce around on the UA inflatable.
Judy Bernas, associate vice president of university relations at UA in Phoenix, said Connect2STEM will inspire young people to learn more about science careers.
“We hope to bring excitement from across the country to downtown Phoenix,” she said. “Connect2STEM will encouragement enthusiasm in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math.”
Susan Anable, Vice President of Public Affairs for Cox Communications, couldn’t agree more.
“With downtown Phoenix as center stage for the Super Bowl, Connect2STEM is a tremendous opportunity to shine a spot light on all of the great things happening to advance STEM visibility. Connect2STEM will add a fun and learning opportunity for valley residents and visitors alike,” Anable explained.
“We think this is a great time to bring people to downtown Phoenix and teach them all there is to learn about science, technology, engineering and math,” Bernas said.
Just 2 Blocks Away From Football Activities
The Connect2STEM event is just two blocks away from the Verizon Super Bowl Central (VSBC) that will take over and transform Downtown Phoenix into the epicenter of Super Bowl activities with 1 million visitors expected to attend. The free, family-friendly, football-themed outdoor fan campus will be the hub of fan, sponsor, media and NFL activities for the week leading up to Super Bowl XLIX. See the complete list of Fan Activities & Attractions.
Visit www.Connect2STEM.comfor detailed event information.
The University of Arizona College of Medicine – Phoenix admitted its inaugural class of first-year medical students in August 2007 and currently has 301 students training to be physicians. The UA College of Medicine – Phoenix inspires and trains individuals to become exemplary physicians, scientists and leaders who are life-long learners and inquisitive scholars and who will embrace professionalism, innovation and collaboration to optimize health and healthcare for all.